Sunday, November 14, 2010

abandoned things

I love derelict, abandoned, and ruined things. If I weren't such a complete and utter coward I should love to run around abandoned buildings and take photographs of fascinating things the owners left behind. I'm allergic to being charged with trespassing, unfortunately, which leaves me extremely happy when I come upon something in the public domain that's worth investigation.

Such as this.

Was walking along the Gunpowder South trail in the Hereford area of Gunpowder Falls state park this afternoon and came upon this lovely carcass. From what I can tell it's a mid-30s Dodge or Plymouth (based on grille, body shape, and dash) but that's as far as I can get without writing down serial numbers, which I couldn't do because it was getting late and I hadn't got any idea where on the block to look for one.

It's got a flathead six that looks to me like the sort you'd find in mid-thirties Chrysler Corporation models, and an adorable one-barrel carb that is obviously made out of some magical space-age material as it has not oxidized all to hell like the rest of the car. I really, really wanted this carburetor. I really, really couldn't have it.

Taking pictures of the interior with a point-and-shoot necessitated flash, which meant that I scared a little grey mouse with white feet (LIGHTNING OMG!) that I thought really rivalled the carb for adorability.

I'm still trying to get the year and marque pinned down and also to find out how the hell it got there. It's located on the floodplain of the river a long way away from any remains of decent roads. Why is it there and why was it left to decay?

Bonus river shot.

1 comment:

  1. That is the coolest carcass I've seen in, well, ever. Great find.

    ReplyDelete