Sunday, November 21, 2010

I am a terrible person and a Bad Blogger. This is partly because holy shit work and partly because a lot of the things I should like to write about should not be seen by the delicate eyes of professors and classmates. That's what other sites are for.

But since I'm feeling guilty, here is an update on the final project. I'm really, really enjoying this. After some initial flailing I've got into the proper rhythm of writing fictitious scientific/scholarly articles again--it really is like riding a bicycle--and as soon as my source material arrives from Barnes & Noble I should be able to provide a lot more content for the site.

Coming up with the name was the most difficult part. Once I had that--tractive effort is a measure of how hard the locomotive is working--everything else fell into place, and I was happy to find that Wordpress' blogging interface is pretty much intuitive. You don't have as much scope as you would on Blogger or LJ to screw with your layouts, but if you have patience with it you can sort of coax it into doing what you like. The whole process of getting the framework of the site set up involved a TON of minor changes and view-blogs and minor changes and view-blogs and so on, so most of the hits on the site so far are from me checking to see if a tiny adjustment has made any change.

I love steam engines because they make absolute sense. They are purely analogue. They are physics in motion. There's no incomprehensible electronic interference, no scram logic, nothing that happens in magic boxes with LEDs on the side: everything in a steam locomotive is just plain physics.

(I would so, so love to drive one of these things. So much.)

No comments:

Post a Comment