Tuesday, October 5, 2010

public service announcement

There are many little annoying grammar and spelling mistakes people on the internet make over and over again, and for the most part I can skim over them with some concentration and effort. Some of them just jump out and grab the gaze and snag it, unignorable, unmitigated, excruciating. Such as this:

a women

STOP DOING THIS.

Would you write "a men"? No. Because "men" is plural of "man." Just as "women" with an E is plural of "woman" with an A. They are in no way the same thing. They are disparate. They are not synonymous. They are discrete. Ils ne sont pas la meme chose. STOP DOING THIS.

5 comments:

  1. Great blog idea : Stop Doing This.
    You wouldn't believe the grammar errors I found in this mornings Washington Post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh believe me, "STOP DOING THIS" is going to be part of my epub midterm project.

    Argh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel with stuff like this. I was in OC this weekend, getting my Thrasher's fries, and saw an ad reading, "Thrasher's go's well with," and I don't know what it "go's" well with, becuase my eyes sizzled into dust in my skull before I could finish reading the ad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jessica: .....ow. Just ow. So many things wrong with that.

    Have you come across The Oatmeal? He does some fantastic "THIS IS HOW TO USE PUNCTUATION" comics.

    ReplyDelete