Sunday, October 10, 2010

Welp.

EDIT: Ok, I know what the problem is. Oy. Ignore the stuff below.




I've got all the files for the site uploaded to my H drive, but (surprise of surprises) none of it seems to work. Much of it gives me 404 errors and when you go to the actual URL for my webspace you get the directory folder I created on the H drive to insert all my files into, but you don't get any actual, y'know, FILES.

I've been fighting with this all day and I'm starting to lose stability. At least I have all the files for the site, all the links work when previewed in Firefox, and it doesn't look as awful as I feared it would. Still can't do anything at all with the bg image/image map issue, and there's no adorable little animation on the home page when you hover over any of the links, because--again--they're image maps. And you can't do image maps on a bg image, you have to do them on an inline image, and I do not feel like using Flash to get round this.

All the websites I've found that suggest they know how to get round the issues I've come up against have this adorably coy way of showing you the code: they show you the snippets of CSS, but then when you go to the live example and ask it to show you source code, they don't actually show you their style sheet. Just the HTML. Which does not help.

Looks like I'll be handing in the flash drive. It is just so infuriating not knowing where to start troubleshooting something like this.

There's a very great deal of information in the site. The home page links to 4 main categories, each of which has at least four or five individual content pages, each of which link back to the homepage AND the about AND the bio. If I could just get it running, it'd be less embarrassingly inadequate.

Also there's not a lot of graphics involved. I'm going to hope that the header/footer/link .jpgs count as graphics.

2 comments:

  1. Most likely, you have to find the style sheet in the HTML code and then open it. Sometimes, a website will have the CSS code in the header of the HTML file. That's mostly useful if you want different style sheets for different pages. When you want to use the same style sheet for all your pages (or several of them), though, you actually create a link to the style sheet, which is saved as a separate file on the server (e.g., style.css). If you want one particular part of one page to have something different, you can specify it within the body of the document. So basically, there are three levels of CSS. Global, page, and one particular section (not sure what to call that one...). I used the global method for my site. If you look at the HTML for the index file of my site, you'll see three different .css files listed. Copy and paste into the location bar, and it will open them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks--yeah. I know: I need to learn CSS from the bottom up, which I will be doing from this point forward.

    ReplyDelete